Updated: Jan 21, 2019
Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils to promote healing and a feeling of well-being and relaxation in the recipient. The purpose of an aromatherapy massage is not so much to physically work out all the kinks and sore spots in your body, but to use the restorative properties of essential oils to relax and heal your body and mind.
Essential oils are highly concentrated volatile substances extracted from essences extracted from plants, flowers, trees, fruit, bark, grasses, and seeds with distinctive therapeutic psychological and physiological properties which improve and prevent illness, treat pain, muscle spasms, stiffness, depression, insomnia, asthma, congestion, hypertension, and the list goes on. Choose the oil according to your condition and expected effects. For example, lavender has a calming effect.
The oil is applied in long sweeping strokes which warm the skin and muscles and prepare the body for deep tissue massage. Once the muscles are warmed, the masseur will continue with deeper massage, rolling and squeezing the skin and underlying muscles between the hands. By the time the massage is over you should be deeply relaxed, and feeling calm. Sometimes people even fall sleep.
It is not recommended to have a full body massage more than once a week, but a weekly massage is an excellent way to keep the body relaxed and free of toxins.
The Benefits of Aromatherapy Massage
1. Improves blood circulation.
2. Relaxes, balances and harmonizes the body. Strengthens the entire body and supports the body in its own healing process. 3. Reduces nervous tension, stress related conditions and emotional problems for e.g. anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia. 4. Helps alleviate aches and pains e.g. headaches, muscle and joint stiffness.
5. Boosts the immune system to help prevent colds, flus and infection.
6. Helps the respiratory system, eases the symptoms of asthma, bronchitis and helps remove mucus build up with its expectorants qualities
7. Oils with cephalic properties help clear the mind, aid concentration and memory
8. Oils with antiseptic properties help to treat insect bites, cuts and wounds
9. Helps alleviates "women's issues" such as PMS, menopause and regulate or stimulate menstruation.
10. Can greatly improve the health of skin for example; help clear problem skin, balance dry or oily skin, scars, cellulite, eczema, cracked or chapped skin